Thursday 17 February 2011

Bananas in Melbourne, say what?

I have to admit something, I actually don't even eat bananas. Unless they are blended into a milkshake, you couldn't get me to eat one. But you know what, if i can get some bananas to fruit in Melbourne, I'll eat one.

Late last year, I wondered if it was possible to grow bananas in Melbourne. There are some inedible fruit bananas called Musa Basjoo that are very frost tolerant, but they are more used as an ornamental plant with the massive leaves used to create a tropical feel to your home garden.

But I needed the real thing. After sending out a forum post on the Daleys Fruit forum, I was put onto a banana tissue culture business in Tully, Queensland. Sue from Blue Sky Backyard Bananas was extremely friendly, and I ended up purchasing a Blue Java and Dwarf Ducasse banana plant. 

I received the delivery on 3rd of September last year, having absolutely no idea what to expect, how big they'd be, what I was going to pot them in, and how quickly they were going to grow. One thing I did know was the Melbourne winter had prolonged into September, and there was no way they'd be going outside. Thankfully I had some grow tents in the garage (no, I'm not growing weed, and no, I don't want seeds or plants to grow in them!) with adequate lighting, so these will at least be able to keep them alive and in good condition for their planting outside once it warms up.



Fast forward to Feb 17, and look at how big they are now! I'm not sure if I expect any fruit this season, but these things are getting between 1 - 2 new leaves each week, and they are loving the humidity we are getting in Melbourne this year.

Banana plants flower once, fruit, then die, but they put out some baby banana plants called "pups". I'm hoping to separate some of the pups, and grow some more, and maybe even sell some to others if anyone is interested.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I live in Melb and have been looking to grow some bananas as well!
    If you have any pups to sell I would be mighty interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. best gardening tools

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sue,
    I would be interested in buying a blue banana plant from you :)
    Thank you
    Please respond if you are interested

    ReplyDelete