Saturday 19 February 2011

Pumpkin vs Butterfly Bush

I only have a single pumpkin plant in the garden, it's very well hidden in the corner where there's minimal sun and I couldn't quite work out where else I could put it.


Of course the plant is in a pot, and despite the lack of sun, I've still managed to get at least one ripe pumpkin that I'm eagerly looking forward to harvest.


But I didn't quite realise how invasive the vines are, and they pretty much just go in whatever direction they want to. After clearing a whole heap of grass that had spread from the neighbour's property, I realised one of the vines has decided to take on the drought resistant butterly bush that's been around since we first bought the house.


The butterfly bush has spread like wildfire at the front of my house, so here's hoping in this David vs Goliath battle that the pumpkin vine manages to take a few of the butterfly bush out of action!


I wonder if anyone would be keen for some Chilli Pumpkin soup in April perhaps?

1 comment: