Saturday 19 February 2011

There's a weed in my garden

Thankfully the weed in my garden is edible, in fact it's loved my dessert lovers around the world.


Raspberries are just one of the berries growing in my garden, but I never quite expected them to take off as well as they have. I bought a single cane from Bunnings this year, and now it's turned into a monster!

You can't see it in the picture, but I've had to buy some 2.4 metre stakes and put some sort of plastic wire between the two to support those 2 gigantic canes that have sprouted up. Before I tied the canes up, the canes were able to sustain themselves, but the moment there was any rain these things become very heavy and pretty much slumped down to the ground.

Apart from the 2 big canes shown in the above picture, there are another 4 or 5 sprouting in the pot. It's not the canes growing in the pot that I'm worried about, it's these canes that have somehow start shooting up from the ground where the raspberry plant has spread from holes in the pot into the surrounding garden.


This leaves me with a dilemma, do I let them flourish and see how they go, or do I cut them now knowing that these things could invade my garden and take it right over?

1 comment:

  1. KILL...KILL...KILL!!!!!!.
    Can't take garden space away from the chillies bro....

    ReplyDelete